Friday, September 20, 2013

20th September 2013 Nis, Serbia to Edirne, Turkey

20th September 2013 Nis, Serbia to Edirne, Turkey

I got up early changed a headlight bulb, grabbed a salami baguette and a tankfull of petrol and departed Nis. Great weather all day......"I wondered lonely without a cloud"
My route took me through mountainous southern Serbia and then on across the border into Bulgaria.
Bulgaria's roads are an ecclectic mix. In parts great in parts poor. Their speed limit policy is bizzare. On their major motorway the limit is 140kph... yes very nice. Then on single carriageway roads that are an extension for the very same major motorway, a humble 60kph dropping to 40kph. The roads through Bulgaria link Turkey to the rest of Europe. The route sees a constant train of Turkish articulated lorries, ploughing back and forth.

I arrived at the Turkish border at 3pm. I purchased Turkish GreenCard insurance for 28Euro, A visa for £10 and made my way through the various checkpoints. Many of the checkpoints are staffed by the police, they input passport numbers and vehicle registration details. At every checkpoint my pulse quickened slightly... I have unpaid speeding fines! Ultimately Turkey welcomed me with open arms! no questions asked, letting bygones be bygones ;-)

Memories of last years border crossing surfaced and made the process quicker and easier.

















I am staying just across the border in Edirne at the Isik Htoel 23€.  Nice city. It boasts 3 magificent mosques and vibrant city centre

 
 
I had a chicken kebab and coke for a modest 3.50 TL and then visited a cafe bar for a beer. Incongruously ... Hoegaarden at the less than modest price of 10 TL a bottle.



















































Edirne mileometer 17875 (302 miles ridden, 2 borders crossed)

No comments:

Post a Comment