Monday, September 16, 2013

15th September 2013 Loughborough England to Brussels Belgium


15th September 2013
Loughborough to Brussels              Loughborough mileometer 16030
First things first. Did I make good use of all the important lessons learnt from last years trip? Absolutely not. I fitted my panniers on the morning of departure, I didn’t test ride my bike fully laden, I didn’t scrub in my brand new tyres. This is the way of the idiot!
Weather forecasts for the day were worrying! I set out early hoping to miss the worst of the Autumn gales heading into Britain from the Atlantic. My journey down to the channel tunnel was almost perfect. Chilly, but otherwise lovely. The 189 miles took me about 2 1/12 hours. On the train I chatted to other bikers and very quickly found myself in France. The ride to Brussels was dry and painless. My 1200gs is running well and is returning 52 MPG. I have to say, given my earlier unkind words, she is a very easy ride. On motorways she is less tiring than my 800gs. This is probably why the 1200gs is the favoured ride of the worn out, past his prime middle aged biker.
I met up with my friends Francis and Lola and we had a lovely meal in De Hoef one of Brussels oldest restaurants.
Brussels mileometer 16344 (314 miles ridden)


No comments:

Post a Comment